DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2010-07 > 1280373254

From: J David Grierson <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] Off-modal matches - simulation
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:14:46 +1000

Well, yes I do, but I can't substantiate it scientifically at this time.
I've been in correspondence with Alan (I assume you meant Milliken) for
some years, and I believe I have established that the Amuliganes
(McRath, Millikin, Mulligan etc) are related to the Griersons. Alan
pointed out a while ago that the c1400 charter transferring some land
between a McRath and a Grierson uses the latin term "consanguineo"
meaning "of the same blood, related by blood, kindred", and this led me
down that particular track, ie to find common off-modal markers across
the area.

I'm trying to establish as fact that M222 predates Niall, and I'm
further guessing that it is a French or Iberian outcome, not an Irish
one. My guess is that there were separate migrations from mainland
Europe. There is also the issue of whether there ever was a Dalriadic
migration Ireland to Scotland, because some have argued that the M222
came along on that occasion.

I'll send my paper about this to you if you wish.
David