DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2010-07 > 1280371705

From: John Mclaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] Off-modal matches - simulation
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:48:25 -0500

On 7/28/2010 8:51 PM, J David Grierson wrote:
> I should also point out that some of these values are still being
> carried by Dunbars, Macadams and other SW Scots, these undoubtedly
> predating the adoption of surnames.

Do you have an opinion on why there are a lot of M222 matches in SW
Scotland? Alan Mulligan has been working on that for years. Some of
his theories center on the Gall Gaedhil, although I personally can see
no reason why they would be M222. I also know of no historical
migration that might explain M222 in the SW lowlands of Scotland. What
we know of M222 in Ireland is confined to the doings of the descendants
of Nial and the Connachta in the west. We have no idea what happened
prior to that (c. 400 AD). Yet most agree M222 pre-dates Nial. O'
Rahilly accepted Nial as an historical figure as well as his father.
But he believed nothing that was said before that time, including
legends of Conn 'of the Hundred Battles.' The only other figure in the
pedigree he accepted as genuine was Tuathal Teachtmar but there are
probably no genuine historical events connected with him in mythology.
Most of the contacts that I know of between the Ui Neill of NW Ireland
and western Scotland took place during the gallowglass period c. 1200
and later.

It's a complete mystery to me.

John

This thread: