DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2010-07 > 1280093742

Subject: [R-M222] Some Sources for Irish Research in the FHL in Salt LakeIII and final
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 21:35:42 +0000 (UTC)

-------
Derriana : the journal of the Derry Diocesan Historical Society, [Omagh] : Derry Diocesan Historical Society, [197-?]-. Clerics of Derry” 1978
p28
Parish of Aghadowey Vicar 1466 Patricius Ocharmiac, Padraig O Cormaic is deprived.

-----
n Derriana: Hearth Money Rolls (1663) City and County of Derry 1979
49
Shan Mac Cormock on townland of Carnanreagh Cumber Parish
55
Dungiven Parish, Ballymacallin Harry MacCormick
56
Banagher Tanaghaeyn Hugh and William Mac Cormick
57
Bovevagh P. Killeblaght Harry MacCormick
62
Caqmus Tirlo Mac Cormick
64
Errigall Pankerrin (Boleran?) Brian MacCormick
67
Ballinascreen Strawmore Donoghy McCannige
72
Ardtrea Ballyriff Brian Mac Cormick
76
Leanontaer Coldiff or gulladuff Owen McCormic

57. Presbytery of Limavady. Mullin, Julia E . Limavady, County Londonderry, Northern Ireland : North-West Books, c1989.
58. The Ulster clans O'Mullan, O'Kane and O'Mellan. Mullin, T. H. Belfast : T.H. Mullin, 1966 . "The O'Mellans were centered in south Londonderry and north Tyrone, where their territory was known as the Meallanacht, including present Cookstown. The O'Mullan sept belongs also to County Derry, and was a principal sept under the O'Cahans."
17
“Three Sons of Owen”: Niall of the Nine Hostages had 8 sons. High king of Ireland in 379 Ad. Died on battle in France in 409. Son Laeghaire succeeded as high king (during St. Patrick's mission). Eoghan (Owen) and Conall went north into north, conquored nw Ulster and founded a new state with capital at Aileach, near Derry, at the root of Inishowen. Territory of Conall, now Donegal, was formerly Tir Connall...land of Connls. O'Donnells descend from Connall. Territory of Owen was Inishowen (island of Owen) and Owen's clan expanded into Tyrone (Tir Owen – land of Owen. Many families descend from Owen: O'Neill, McLoughlin, O'Cahan, O'Hagan, O'Mellan,O'Mullan,etc.
18
“Tripartite Life of St. Patrick” written largely in 9th century, describes a trip he made to Inishowen: See Eugene Mullen poem:
“To all the seven kingdoms thou didst go
With toilsome journeyings, in sore privation.
Armagh thy see Primatial thou didst make
By that proud hill, which Macha, golden haired
With aureate pin had lined to trace the site
of Eamhain Fort and shapea home of valor
For the bold Craobh Ruadh, thy pastoral staff now marked
The place of more enduring battlement.
'Great glory this last House shall have,' said the Lord
Of Hosts 'and in this place I will give thee peace.'
To kindly Cineal Eoghain thou didst grant
Wide sovereignty, wielded from fair Aileach.'
Patrick blessed the children of Conall and then went to Bernes Mor into the country of Owen to Magh Itha, where he baptized Owen. He asked him which son was dearest to him. “Muredach' said Eogan. Then Patrick said kingship shall descend from him forever. Next was Fergus – Ordained people from him; Then Eochu Bindech – Warriers.
A son of Fergus, Coebald, expelled the saint, but another son Aedh (Hugh) whose land adjoined Coelbad's gave St. Patrick welcome. He then went to Bretagh, of Owen's son Ailill, and ordained Aengus, son of Ailill at Domnach Bili. (19). Domnach means the Lord's day or church. Bretagh is the name of a river on Inishowen and Domnach Bili is Moville.
The O'Mellans were centered in south Londonderry and north Tyrone, where their territory was known as the Meallanacht, including present Cookstown. The O'Mullan sept belongs also to County Derry, and was a principal sept under the O'Cahans.
21
Territory of Dalriada (Descendents of Cairbre Righfada or Riada) now The Route. One of his descendents went to Scotland and founded Argyle (Fergus). Descendents became kings of the Scottish Dalraida and ultimately the kings of the Picts was united with Kenneth McAlpin.
Later Columba,a Niall descendent, left Lough Foyle for Iona and converted the Scots.
Owen Clan expansion:
east and south, gradually from a center in Derryveagh mountains and Barnesmore Hills in Donegal.
Clan Binny (maybe 563) by passed the Cianachta (children of Cian) to se into Tyrone, to the Blackwater (Davel) on borders of Tyrone and Armagh. O'Hamills at Clonfeacle on the Blackwater may be their farthest point,
22
Clan Binny ousted Oriella clans from west of the Bann from Coleraine to Lough Neagh and drove them east over the river. For info on this warrier clan see Dr. James O'Kelly “Gleanings from Ulster History”.
Clan Fergus – perhaps descend from his son Coelbad: Ogain (Ohagan), Coinne (O'Quinns), Mael Fabaill (Mulfoyle chieftains). Mulfoyle stayed by Lough Swilly, others moved into Tyrone. Clan Fergus was alsothe fighting vanguard of McLoughlin and O'Neill.
Royal clans of Ulster are O'Neill and McLoughlin and descend from Murdock Mac Earca (“Odevlins and O Donnellys come from a grandson). Hugh Allen was k ing of Ireland, fighting victories over descendents of Conall from Donegall. He had two brothers Niall Frossach and Connor who had famous descendents.
>From Niall Frossach through Hugh Finlay come both McLoughlins and O'Neills (O'Neill name comes from Niall Glundubh or Niall black knee).
>From Connor came clan Connor or Clan Connor Magh Ithe (men of Magh Ithe), a rich countryside stretching from Inishowen, later known as the Lagan District, in east Donegal.
23-8
O'Clery book of genealogies has Connor with 12 sons. From Drughan comes the O'Cahans. O'Mullans also come from Connor. McCloskeys from Blosky O'Cahan (Annals 1196).
Cianachta (O'Connors) held Glengiven in Roe Valley for centuries till overthrown buy Clan Connor. From 900 to 1000the clan Connor moved out to the whole territory from Foyle to Bann in Derry. IT is not know how they were concquored. At end septs of Clan Connor in Derry County, Clan Dermot and its family O'Carrolan south of the Faughan river while the O'Cahans, O'Mullans and McCloskeys in North Derry.
While the Owen clans expanded, the subkingdom HQ changed from Aileach near Derry where kingship in NW Ulster alternated between two chief branchesof conquorers: Clan Owen and Clan Conall, but while Clan Conall had difficulty expanding due to geography, balance of power shifted to Clan Owen, who won a series of victories over it. Hugh Allen and his kin excluded Clan Conall from over kingship by end of 8th century. IT became dominant and its HQ was now the Clan Owen seat at Aileach. But they needed a new capital as their power shifted into Tyrone. Changed to place near Tullyhog, near Cookstown, between 1035 and 1050 (Professor James Hogan in “The Irish Law of Kingship”).
Aileach was abandoned. Inishowen became a northern outpost where a minor branch of the Mulfoyle chieftains (at Carrickbrachy) ruled. Eventually (24) Clan Owen lost Inishowen due to the gradual exodus of Clan Binny, internal conflict over the Lagan. The O'Doherties, a branch of the Conall people from Donegal, forced their way into Lagan (Magh Ithe) and then Inishowen. Owen families were crippled in two battles, the last in the 1200s.
However by then the clan was spread into a wide area of Ulster. O'Neills and McLoughlins ruled but eventually the O'Neills won out and the McLoughlins “lapsed into obscurity” or “security”
Finally the O'Neills moved their seat from Tullyhog near Cookstown to dungannon.
The three main settlements in this area were Clan Fergus. O'Mellans held territory including Slieve Gallion to north and Cookstown to south (Mellanaght). (25) The O'Hagans were to the south, but they were later transplanted north of the O'Mellans. O'Quins probably were sw of O'Mellans near Lissan.
Other Owen Families: Clan Ferady with leading step McCawells near Clogher. North ClanMoen and its O'Gormley sept n and ne of Strabane. O'Devlins between Clan Fergus and Lough Neagh. O'Donnellys at Castlecaulfield near Dungannon.
“Pinnacles of Power”
O'Cahans were mainstay of power behind O'Neills. They paid tribute to O'Neill of 21 cows called the Kish ree or keys rent as well as normal Irish services in peace and war and thus enjoyed relative independence, elected own chief by law of tanistry and it was confirmed by the O'Neill. The O'Cahans helped elect (28) the O'Neill chief at Tullyhog.
29
Sons of Owen ruled for 12 centuries and prevented the Norse from permanent settlement in Ulster.
64
Chief of O'Cahans named Rory murdered by his second cousin, Sean, son of Aibhne. Sean had difficulties . Son captured by Conn O'Neills who then entered O'Cahan territoyy )65) and devestated it. Then Sean captured by Scottish vessel from Inverary, but liberated the next year, returned, and liberated own cattle before his people knew he was free. In 1492 two of his sons Godfrey and John Gallda were killed by Walter McQuillan, at instigation of their uncle Thomas O'Cahan. In summer of 1495 the McQuillans raided. Bad weather brought famine. Sean died in 1498 and was succeeded by his brother Thomas.
Thomas' nephews Donough and Donnell,sons of Sean. Donnell called 'the Cleric'. 1503
66
he maimed his brother Richard. Only the physically fit could rule. In 1506 Donough killed his nephew Manus, son of Brian the Fair (Brian Finn). Then the three crossed into MacQuillan Country and illed MacQuillan, returning with bounty of horses and cows.
67
Donough took his uncle Thomas prisoner before his death in 1521. Followed a big feud. Various murders leaving Godfrey so of Godrey and gso of Sean and John, so of Thomas as heirs. John, so of Thomas, was warlike and supported by the O'Dohertys. John killed in 1525
105
16 August, 1611 John Rowley and Tristam Beresford, agents for the City of London, alloted 13 freeholds to Irish natives, (106). These were in various places such as (Manus MacCowy Ballagh near Coleraine, south of Aghadowey River. These people were great grandsons of people like Donnell the Cleric. Manus ancestors were O'Cathan chieftains before Sean, son of Aibhne.
Captain Manus O'Cahan 2000 acres (near Faughanvale and Glendermot near Derry)
Lady O'Cahan and sons Rory and Donnell Oge 1000
Cowy Ballagh McRichard O'Cahan 1000 (Bovevagh near Dungiven) gson of Donnell the Cleric
Tomlyn and Owen Keogh O'Mullan 500 (part of parishes of Cumber and Banagher)
(See Calendar of state papers of Ireland, 1608-1610)
Also Owen McComwell,Bovidie in barony of Coleraine
Rich McAneny Ballyvaddian, barony of Coleraine
Gorry McGillglass O'Cahan Goussidone,Cumber
Gorry McShane O'Cahan Knockan, parish of Banagher
Brian Bane McGilligan Ballycarton Aghanloo
Gilduffe McBrien O'Cahan Garavughue parish of of Errigal
Manus McGilreagh O'Mullan Cloghan parish of Balteagh
Gilduffe Og O'Mullan Ballyness parish of Dungiven
108
Planters were to take only British tenents but military men could use natives as could churchlands, which is where these freeholds were created.
120
1608 800 men shipped off to fight in Sweden. Among them Dennis and Shane O'Mullan and their children were to be provided for but it is not clear if they were or how. Only divided O'Mullan freehold was 500 acres in Ballymullans, to Tomlyn and Owen Keogh O'Mullan, so he is probably the brother of ferdoragh, the O'Mullan chief, as the ages are not right.
Many Irish prefered the English.
155
Lady O'Cahan's freehold forfeited in the 1615 conspiracy. Rorys land let for life to George Carey, Recorder of Derry. Owen McCowells lost the same way. Donnell left for low lands. 1649 king petitoned by Francis O'Cahan 1000 acres in barony of Keenaught.
170
see will of Beresford d 1647 for lands he held, Dunboe: 11 townlands called grangelands leased from the Bishop of Derry.
10 townlands once belonging to Captain Manus O'Cahan
10 townlands purchased from Manus McCowy Ballagh O'Cahan with ironworks
220
list of Sir Donnell O'Cahan's jury
*Donel O'Mulalan McCormage
*Edmond McCormage
*Ferdorogh McCormage
*=objected to by the English
226
Appendix E
The O'Cahans of Dunseverick were involved in the 1641 rebellion and Gillduffe O'Cahan was executed with his son Turlough; However it was claimed that the remnant lived 6 miles in Ballinlea O'Cahan. List (277) from 1734. The name O'Cahan disappears from the barony of Carey .

Domhnach Mór (Donaghmore) : an outline of parish history . Ó Doibhlin, Éamon . [Donaghmore, Co. Tyrone : s.n.], 1988.
71
Mullaghmore among the erenach townlands granted to Christopher, archbishop of Armagh 1620/1. Farmed by O'Loughrans. People stayed. See rolls of the manor court 1625-27at Library in Armagh.
Rest to Sir Toby Caulfield, a soldier of fortune.
83-84
Natives were O'Neills, descendents of Turlough Lynagh, father Art Og

Linda Merle

This thread: