DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2009-12 > 1260031744

From: Michael Keaveney <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] Coyne and Golden project families
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 16:49:04 +0000

The Galway-Mayo Coynes are probably part of a group of families called "na
Partraige" (Partridge) who by all accounts migrated from Thomond to an area
between between Lough Corrib and Lough Mask on the Galway-Mayo border in the
5th century AD.

Surnames associated with this grouping are Finneran, Tierney, Darcy and
Coyne/Kyne. From what I can see practically no DNA testing has been done by
these families except for perhaps Darcy which has several different distinct
lines, one of which is known to be Norman; I even see a Darcy in the
464xccgg project group as befits a Leinster association.

I know of one Galway Darcy who is currently being tested at FTDNA; his
results may indicate what the other families listed are likely to test. I am
inclined to think that the Partridges will have an element that is close to
Irish Type 3.

I also think that the amount of indigenous M222+ in Galway/Roscommon is
underestimated or perhaps under-tested as yet.

Michael