DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2009-11 > 1257396215

From: Paul Conroy <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] Ewing m222
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 23:43:35 -0500

Bernard, David,

In terms of Ewing, McKean and McCain in Donegal, here's what someone on
another forum had to say about his family:
http://dna-forums.com/index.php?/topic/7767-what-r-l21-haplotypes-appear-to-fit-with-r-m222/page__p__119901&#entry119901

The Hugh McKean ancestor, he's my immigrant ancestor. The family is
Redshank, i.e. Highland Scots. They are originally from Dunadd (Kilmichael
Glassary, in mid Argyll, literally a good stone's throw away from the
capital of old Dál Riada.

Name in Gaelic is Mac Eáin, a form of Eóin unique to the Gaels of that part
of Argyll. The family moved to east Donegal circa 1568 to 1590 (hard to
pinpoint). They are still very numerous in east Donegal, one line did move
to north Antrim. Anglicised forms are McCain (most common), McKean, McKeen,
McKain. Several naval admirals, a senator, a couple of well known musicians,
an Wimbledon champion, etc., from this family also.

Go to www.ulsterheritage.com look at the menu on the left, click 'clans' I
think it is, anyroad, follow that and you can go to a McCain Clan website
and McCain family DNA project. This family has around 50 matches in the
Diaspora. They are related to the McArthur and McLea families, also of mid
Argyll

Cheers,
Paul