DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2008-12 > 1230441841

From: "David Wilson" <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] DYS385a,b
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 21:24:01 -0800

I have wondered this myself. One would like to be able to assert that a
single individual with 11-12 at 385 was the ancestor of all individuals who
have those results today, but we need to be cautious. If you can find a
cluster of distinguishing markers (the more the better) that include
385b=12 and define a subcluster within the overall M222 group, then you
would have something to work with. But I have not yet seen such a cluster
myself. Also, remember that mutations go both directions. It is possible
that some 11-13 individuals today descend from an 11-12 individual who lived
two, four or eight centuries ago, and in one of whose descendants the modal
value re-established itself and prospered in succeeding generations.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I have seen too many of my own
notions and enthusiasms fail to play out as I expected. I'm just really
cautious these days.

David Wilson