DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2008-06 > 1213280094

From: "David Ewing" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA-R1B1C7] General Question from rookie
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:14:54 -0600

Hi, Mitch.

It is not at all unusual to find someone in R1b1b2* that is "negative for
all currently published mutations downstream of M269;" indeed, the number of
folks in this group probably exceeds the total of all of those who are
positive for any of the downstream SNPs. You don't need to wait or do more
testing to "see where he fits:" this is where he fits. [Notice the
asterisk--this means "M269+ and negative for all currently published
mutations downstream of M269," whereas R1b1b2 without the asterisk just
means "M269+".]

I am not sure I understood what you were saying about "a different
ancestor," though. It would be highly unusual for a known male-line relative
of yours not to have the same SNP as you, and therefore to be in the same
haplogroup. I don't think you are testing your ancestors--unless you are
using a shovel to collect DNA, eh? Do you and this R1b1b2 fellow have a
common ancestor in genealogical time? If so, then you have a truly
surprising result, and probably a mistake somewhere. Most of us would say
that the fact you are R1b1b2e and he is R1b1b2* means that your most recent
common ancestor lived many thousands of years ago--a minimum of 1500 or so,
but more likely at least several thousand, on the order of 10k. How do your
STR panels compare? If these SNP results are accurate, I would guess that on
the FTDNA 37-marker panel you would be at genetic distance 20, more or less.
If you are only genetic distance 5 or so, the whole DNA community is going
to be wanting to see your results and try to figure out what happened to the
SNP.

David Ewing

This thread: