DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2008-04 > 1207229800

From: "David Ewing" <>
Subject: [DNA-R1B1C7] R1b1b2e??
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 07:36:40 -0600

Sure, Mitch. But you ain't seen nothing yet.

A new Y Chromosome Consortium tree has just been published, updating the one
we have been using since 2002 and incorporating a number of new SNPs, which
required some restructuring and extensive re-naming of the old tree. What
was R1b1c7 on the old tree is R1b1b2e on the new tree. In a situation
analogous to the one we run into when counties are subdivided, we have found
ourselves living in a new county even though we haven't moved. For us,
nothing has really changed but the name: both R1b1c7 and R1b1b2e are defined
by M222+ (and the upstream markers that all men who are M222+ have).

This is going to cause no end of confusion. I have an idea that we will
eventually move toward naming haplgroup subclades by using the SNP names
only. For example, rather than calling the terminal branch we belong to
R1b1c7 or R1b1b2e, why don't we just call ourselves M222+?

I will send you a copy of the new YCC paper off list, because I can't send
attachments to the list. It is: New binary polymorphisms reshape and
increase resolution of the human Y chromosomal haplogroup tree, by Tatiana
M. Karafet, Fernando L. Mendez, Monica B. Meilerman, Peter A. Underhill,
Stephen L. Zegura, and Michael F. Hammer.

David Ewing

This thread: