DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2008-02 > 1203520833

From: "David Ewing" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA-R1B1C7] Age of R1b1c7
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:20:33 -0700

Paul Conroy appropriately and correctly points out that there are many
possible scenarios that can explain a disconnect between modern Y-DNA
results and the presumptive Y-DNA of the common ancestor for a surname
group. I think that all of these scenarios are technically non-paternal
events--ie, events in which one obtains a surname on some basis other than
inheriting it from his biological father--though I recognize that the common
usage for NPE is as a synonym for illegitimacy.

That said, I think the scenarios Paul raises as possibilities do not explain
the appearance of R1b1c7 in American Ewings, though I'm sure that they do
account for this in some families. I say this because we have a very good
paper trail on most of the families in question to Presbyterians in early
18th century Pennsylvania/Maryland, and prior to that to late 17th century
Donegal. We have both southern and northern branches of these families in
America, and have a very good idea of their respective migration paths.
Among those Ewings on whom we do not have deep conventional genealogy, there
is no preponderance of R1b1c7 haplotypes among southerners. My impression is
that if anything, the reverse would be true, though I have not carefully
re-analyzed the data with this question in mind and am really just shooting
off my mouth here. (Maybe I should go into politics, eh?)

If I may be permitted a philosophical remark, I think that one of the great
benefits of genetic genealogy is that when pursued assiduously, it
invariably ends up debunking notions of inherited status and ethnic "purity"
in whatever guise. To my mind, seeing things clearly (even seeing clearly
how unclear things are) is infinitely richer and more interesting than
clinging to the sort of self-aggrandizing legends the Irish royalty of yore
hired bards to make up for them.

David Ewing

This thread: