DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2008-01 > 1200837685

Subject: Re: [DNA-R1B1C7] Some Musings on R1b1c7
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 09:01:25 EST

John

Thanks. Heres the background to the term Kenelman. At the back of "The
Register of the Great Seal of Scotland" in Appendix II, there are two printed
lists of Indexes, Index A and Index B, compiled by two separate Scottish royal
clerks and based on rolls, which perished in the shipwreck of 1660.

Index A, the older and written in Latin, is believed to have been compiled
by James Makgill of Rankeilor, clerk register from 1554 to 1579.

Index B, known as Robertson's Index, is believed to have been compiled by
Sir John Hamilton of Magdalens, clerk register between 1622 and 1632. Index B
is written in the Scots vernacular.

The indexes contained in many cases the only source of reference to charters
now lost dating from the Reign of Robert the Bruce onwards, including his
son, David II. The Clan Kenelman is recorded in his reign.

Index A: “Michaelis Mcgorth quod sit capitanus de parentela de Kenclanen”.

Index B: “Carta anent the clan of Kenelman”.

As you can see, the first - written in Latin, is probably a copy of the
heading of the original charter. Kencl should probably be Kenel, as it appears in
the Index B. The second part of the name is less clear. What is Anen or Man?
Proff. Watson suggests Kenelman may be for ‘Cenel Maine’, though Kenclanen
was meaningless to him. The fact that this Clan is dubbed a Clan in 1344,
suggests the Kenel had become a recognised part of the name Man, in much the same
way Munntir had become the first element of the name Muntercasduff by 1344,
when John McKennedy was appointed captain of the "Clan" Muntercasduff. The
names Kenelman and Muntercasduff both point to Gaelic practices of naming
family groups. To me, Muntercasduff points to a family that grew up around a
religious community, whereas, Kenel points to something slightly different. Not
sure what though?

In my article _Brittonic-A_
(http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~alanmilliken/Research/DNAStudies/Brittonic-A.html) I attempt to trace how the name
Muntercasduff evolved from a particular person, as in the case of
Muntercoultan. In both cases, we are looking a patriarch who lived pre-1100. I haven't
been able to draw the same level of observation with the name Kenelman. So
many of the native Gallwegians were pushed down the social ladder by the 1300s,
it is difficult to know what shape the clan structure took prior to this
period.

In relation to the Amuliganes, something has always puzzled me. I found a
reference to an Omoligane in or near Dublin in 1264, along with the name
McDowall. I also came across a DNA result from an O'Mulligan of West Meath, that is
very similar to our own. It is only a phonetic change from Omoligane to
Amuligane. The Acarson family from Galloway appears to have been actively
involved in Scotland's affairs with the Isles of Man and certainly around the Irish
Sea coastline. Several years ago, when I was doing some research in Dublin, I
came across a coat of Arms that was almost identical to ours. It was very
old and belonged to the merchant guild of Dublin! I'm beginning to wonder if I
am looking in the wrong direction and should be looking more south towards
Dublin.

Alan