DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2007-12 > 1197627998

Subject: [DNA-R1B1C7] Universal prediction on minimal Y-DNA data
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 05:26:38 EST

Someone has concluded that James Watson is part African (Are not we all?)

_http://scienceblogshttp://scienceblhttp://scienceblhttp://scihtt_
(http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/12/dubious_parentage.php)

and

_http://blogs.abcnews.com/scienceandsociety/2007/12/the-genome-of-j.html_
(http://blogs.abcnews.com/scienceandsociety/2007/12/the-genome-of-j.html)

Those of you reading this message represent a very small portion of the
population of six billion plus.
To discover a 67 for 67 match is indeed lucky--the common ancestor likely
was alive when Thomas Jefferson was a young boy. Or, the common ancestor could
be a man born in 1930's.

A genetic distance, on Y-DNA, of 30 or 40 implies a common ancestor many
thousands of years ago.
This would be long before groups had been established that we now refer to
as "Irish", "Japanese", or
"Siberian". Going back in time to the group that produced your Y-DNA
ancestor would lead you to thousands of others, in the same group, that are also
your ancestors through other lines of descent.

This figure assigned to Watson is meaningless unless we can review the
sequences of others to determine how their results came out...

Terence