DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2007-08 > 1186072146

Subject: Re: [DNA-R1B1C7] R1b1c7 in Scotland
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 12:29:06 EDT

writes:

I find it difficult to think of a single reason why NW Irish DNA (and in
particular, Cenel Conaill DNA) might have wound up in the lowlands of
Scotland
after 400 A.D. The Cenel Conaill had some initial royal status in
Ireland,
furnishing a number of High Kings prior to 800 A.D. Thereafter their power
and
influence in the affairs of the north of Ireland waned for centuries and
they were largely confined as local chieftains of the Tir Conaill in
Donegal.
In later centuries the O'Donnells forged alliances with the MacDonalds of
the
western Isles - fosterage, marriages, gallowglasses. Prior to 1200 A.D.
the
O'Doherty surname was unknown in Ireland. They first came to the attention
of the Irish annalists following their takeover of previously Cenel Eoghain
territory in Inishowen which followed on the heels of the Norman De Burgo
withdrawal from Inishowen.

John

I would welcome a copy of Ewan Campbell's article. It might not seem there
is an obvious reason why the NW Irish DNA appear in the Lowlands of Scotland,
or should we say the southwest of Scotland, after 400 AD; I would suggest
there is. Besides the most obvious link through the Community of Iona, we have
the age of the Gall-Gaedhil, who appear to have given their name to Galloway
and emerge as a fighting force after 800 AD. There is no need for me to comment
on the history of this people, enough has already been written about them.
There can be little doubt, that from 900 to 1200 AD the southwest of Scotland
underwent a change from being Brythonic speaking to Gaelic. By the time we
finally capture this transition in language and culture by the middle of
1100s, when Fergus of Galloway emerges from obscurity, their small kingdom was in
decline. David I, king of Scots had already begun the process of
assimulation. Furthermore, the process of Normanising the old kingdom of Strathclyde had
already begun.

In the context of Galloway, it is worth reflecting again on some of the
tentative links with Co. Donegal during the rule of the De Galloways. The sons of
Rolland of Galloway played a part in the poltical affairs of NW Ireland.
Here I refer to the Annals:

AU 1212
Thomas, son of Uchtrach* with the sons of Raghnall, son of Somarle, came to
Daire of St. Colum-cille with six and seventy ships and the town was greatly
destroyed by them and Inis-Eogain was completely destroyed by them and by the
Cenel-Conaill.
* Gaelic = “Tomas mac Uchtraigh”. Thomas was the son of Roland son of
Uchtred.
AU 1214
Thomas, son of Uchtrach and Ruaidhri, son of Raghnall, plundered Daire
completely and took the treasures of the Community of Daire and of the North of
Ireland besides from out the midst of the church of the Monastery.
The inference from the 1212 entry is that the Thomas de Galloway, brother of
Alan, lord de Galloway and constable of Scotland, suggests, the Cenel
Conaill were in alliance with the De Galloways and the sons of Somerled against the
kindred of Cenel Eogan in Inis Eogain. This whole event needs to be set in a
wider context. 76 ships sailed from the west of Scotland, that is a
formidable fleet. According to Andrew McDonald, the raid of 1212 has been linked with
the attempts of John de Grey, the justiciar of Ireland (1208-12), to
establish King John's presence in the north of Ireland. Springer on the other hand
makes a slightly more astute observation, and suggests that these attacks were
directed againtst areas from which the 'meic Uilleim' had drawn support, and
it is perhaps significant in this context that Gofraid meic Uilleim seems to
have been unable to replace his losses of 1211 with fresh Irish warrriors,
which evidently contributed to his desertion and betrayal by his erswhile
supporters in Ross. The meic Uilleim, better known as the MacWilliams were of
the ancient Scots king line.
The point I am making is this, it has been shown that those who ruled on the
margins of the Scottish kingdom, such as, Galloway, Moray and Argyle, could
often find allies in Ireland. There is evidence to show the McWilliams were
allied to the O'Neills. If an alliance existed between the Cenel Conaill and
the old kingdom of Galloway, it could well have been forged as far back as the
11th century. The late Daphne Brooke put forward a very compelling case for
the establishment of Columbian dedications of Iona in Galloway from this
period onwards. Certainly, this would suggest to me, it is possible the R1b1c7
type could have settled in Galloway at some point during 11th and 12th century.

For me and others, the question foremost on our minds is this, could there
be a link between the Ua Maolagain of the Cenel Moan in Donegal and the
Amuliganes of Galloway? This is a niggling question, which doesn't seem to want to
go away. I have updated some research on the Cenel Moan, and added it to the
the following webpage:
_The Septs of Ua Maolagain_
(http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~alanmilliken/Research/IrishRecords/Miscellaneous/SeptUaMaelagain.html)
As mentioned in a previous email, there was a Cenelman or Cenelmaine in
Wightownshire. I wonder if Cenelman could be a corruption for Cenelmoan!! It is
possible. It is unlikely though that the Cenelman where in Galloway before
11th century. It is more likely they settled under the Norse-Irish group that
arrived from this period onwards. In the Annals of Ulster, the Cenel Moan
only begin to emerge as "Cenel" in the 11th century in Donegal. Is there a
link between the two? The Amuliganes appear in Wigtownshire about the same
time as the McCords, Chiefs of the Cenelman, and lived in the same vicinity in
Wigtown! Muircetach Ua Maolagain, became Abbot of Derry Columcille in 1220.
Unfortunately, we do not know how long he remained in this office. He had a
son called John. Combine all this with the NW Irish R1b1c7 Study, and it seems
to me, there is an interesting case in the making!!
Alan

This thread: