DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2007-07 > 1184766603

From: Terry Strasser <>
Subject: Re: [DNA-R1B1C7] DNA-R1B1C7 Digest, Vol 1, Issue 55/Strasser
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 06:50:03 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Terence:

Thanks for the response. The paper trail is with a
fourth cousin, listed as R1b1 on FTDNA, "unknown" on
Y-Search. His ID on the latter is WRTHK. My brother,
not the cousin's brother (just to be clear!), is a
confirmed R1b1c7, and he and the fourth cousin are
exact 37 marker matches. My brother's ID on Y-Search
is DHU7W. We all share the same surname (Coyne).

I can place my immigrant ancestor's probable sister in
County Westmeath in 1830 (baptism), but there is a
family tradition on the other immigrant brother's side
of a County Roscommon origin. The city of Athlone was
admistratively divided between Counties Westmeath and
Roscommon, and the sister's place of baptism
(Toberclare) is about 5 miles away from Athlone, so
this might be the connection. The immigrant brothers
were painters in Brooklyn around 1850, and I've
speculated that they were probably from a populated
place (like Athlone) that would support such an
occupation.

There is one 67-marker match with one mismatch in the
FTDNA database (exact at 37 markers), but this person
has not uploaded to Y-search. His surname is
different from ours. However, his daughter and I have
been in contact, and are exploring the possibilities.
Their ancestry has been traced to County Mayo.

There are numerous matches at 37 markers and GDs of
-1, -2 or -3. I don't know what the Neill status of
these matches is--I assume if they're that close,
they've also been assigned by FTDNA to that category.

None of these matches, with the exception of the
fourth cousin, has the same surname as ours.

Terry Coyne Strasser