DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2012-04 > 1333726838

From: "Mike Gould" <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Christopher Hamilton born 1789 in Exeter, Devon, England
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 16:40:38 +0100

Hi Matt,

You could start by checking some on-line catalogues.
Devon Record Office on-line catalogue is here:
<
http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/councildemocracy/record_office/online_catalogu
es.htm>
It's also worth checking Access to Archives (A2A) here:
< http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/>;
In both cases, use the Advanced Search if a simple search doesn't give you
the results you need.
A lot depends on whether you are able to visit Devon Record Office in
Exeter. For the 18th century and earlier, the records that are available
on-line are very limited.
If you can't visit the Record Office but you have a local LDS Family History
Centre, then try checking the Family Search website on-line catalogue for
Exeter records. Your Family History Centre will be able to order up
microfilms for you to view at the centre.
If you would like to read about researching source material, an excellent
authority on the subject is "Ancestral Trails" by Mark Herber.

Hope this helps,

Mike Gould
Leicestershire