DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2012-03 > 1332030016

From: Brian Randell <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Early migration from South Wales to Devon
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 00:20:16 +0000

Hi Pat and Margaret:

On 17 Mar 2012, at 20:03, Genealogy wrote:

> We have followed with interest the recent thread on migration between Devon and South Wales as our Evans ancestors, channel pilots and mariners, went from Appledore to Newport in the mid 19th century.
>
> However, the surname Evans has caused us to speculate about a possible Welsh origin for the family.
>
> So far we think our branch of the Evans first appears in Northam in the 1680's, though the name is recorded in Bideford and Barnstaple (as well as elsewhere in Devon) much earlier. The Northam registers include references to marriages between local girls and Welshmen from such places as Saundersfoot, Swansea and ports in the Gower but alas no such detail is attached to any Evans entries!
>
> We have seen references to the extensive Devon-Wales trade in coal, culm and limestone and agricultural produce which would account for a Welsh boy meeting a girl from Northam. We have not yet found anything in records in south west Wales. However we would be interested to hear if anyone else has further insights into this pre-c19th traffic from Wales to Devon.

I have spent many hours, first at Chancery Lane and later at Kew transcribing information, from the National Archives' huge collection of Port Books, concerning trade between North Devon and South (and South-West) Wales.

However, I was paying attention only to Clovelly vessels - nevertheless you may find my transcripts of interest to you as showing what sorts of voyages, involving what sorts of cargo, were occurring during the 16th-18th centuries. Specifically, if you go to the Clovelly page in GENUKI/Devon and look under Merchant Marine, you will find the following:

Listing of Clovelly Entries in Cardiff Coastal Port Books (1630-1711).

Listing of Clovelly Entries in Padstow Coastal Port Books (1602-1719).

Listing of Clovelly Entries in Bideford Coastal Port Books (1565-1745).

Listing of voyages of Clovelly Ships from Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire (1770-1776).

You'll also find details of a large number of books and papers which might help you under Merchant Marine on the main GENUKI/Devon page.

Cheers

Brian Randell

--
School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK

This thread: