DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2012-03 > 1331374175

From: "Angela Marks" <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Devon to Wales via ship / ferry
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 10:09:35 -0000

It wasn't exactly a scheduled ferry service, but I can remember going from
Ilfracombe to Penarth (just outside Cardiff) and back several times in the
1960s. As I recall it was a 'holiday trippers' thing, though there were a
couple of crossings a day in the summer.

The main ferry crossing however was from Aust to Beachley, almost next to
the Severn Bridge. It was a dangerous crossing because of the tidal range
and currents, and the massive sand banks made it impossible at low tide.
Daniel Defoe famously refused to use it on his perambulations, because of
the risk. The ferry closed in 1966 after the opening of the Severn Bridge.

St Augustine of Canterbury is believed to have held a meeting with the
Celtic bishops at Aust in 603, possibly because it was a convenient crossing
place, and in the sixth and seventh century most of the British bishops were
in Wales. anyway!

Angela in Dawlish