DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2012-03 > 1331123930

From: Rob Russell <>
Subject: [DEV] William FOGWILL b. 1818
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 12:38:50 +0000 (GMT)

Hi All,

I am trying to trace the marriage of  William FOGWILL (b. 1818 Slapton). He is shown in the 1851 as being single and living with his mother Johanna in Slapton. His nest door neighbour is a Maria GOODYEAR (b. Plymouth circa 1823 according to the 1851 census). In the 1861 Census William is shown as being married to a Maria. I have done a freeBMD search and found William FOGWILL married a Maria Ribeth GOODYEAR which suggest to me, he married his neighbour. The marriage is the only one listed between 1851 & 1861 so I suspect it is the right record.  My problem is that the marriage took place in the Newton Abbott registration district. I am at a loss as to explain why two people from Slapton would have travelled to Newton Abbott to marry.

I have tried looking at the Parish records (in Torquay Central Library) but can not find any entry for the marriage and it is not listed on the IGI index.  Newton Abbott is a large registration district and I don't think Torquay Library holds all the parish records. Can anyone suggest a way of narrowing down the particular parish the marriage took place in? I realise I could buy a copy of the marriage cert. but  I would like to find the parish record if poss. as I am on a low income and spending £10 on a document that might not be relevant is not really an option. I am hoping that the parish record will list their respective fathers' and give their abode enabling me to check I have the right marriage

I am local to Totnes and can travel to check documents if I need to, but I need pointing in the right direction so any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks
Rob

This thread: