DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2011-11 > 1322561616

From: Brian Randell <>
Subject: [DEV] Mocavo UK
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:13:36 +0000

>From Dick Eastman's Genealogy newsletter:

> I have written before about Mocavo (see for a list of my earlier articles about Mocavo). I am enthused about this search engine. Mocavo's searches are limited only to genealogy sites. In addition, it has some specialized software that is better at picking out surnames than the other search engines. If you haven't yet tried to find ancestors, I'd suggest you do so soon.
> Now Mocavo has duplicated the technology to make a U.K.-specific genealogy search engine. went live earlier today and the brief chance I had to play with it shows that it works well at finding references to English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh ancestors on the Internet.

I'd already made some use of, and been very impressed by, the original version of Mocavo. I thus welcome their new UK service.

It is only in its early stages, and I note that at the moment it is searching the main part of GENUKI, but not yet GENUKI/Devon.

PLEASE - any discussion of Mocavo UK should be confined to Devon-specific issues.

Brian Randell

School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne,
EMAIL = PHONE = +44 191 222 7923
FAX = +44 191 222 8232 URL =

This thread: