DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2011-09 > 1315867893

From: Teresa Goatham <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Queries regarding John Britton
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 23:51:33 +0100

Regarding the baptism, the fact John was later received into the church implies the baptism was in Barnstaple was a private one. This in turn implies it was urgent. Possibly most often this would be
soon after birth and so may well show where the birth was - but his mother may have gone to her own mother or another relation for her confinement, so this need not be where the family were living.
But it could just indicate that when sick he was being nursed by his grandmother or other relation and at one point it looked like he might not survive so he was baptised urgently.

It would be worth checking Barnstaple PRs - entries often show when someone was of another parish.

Teresa

> Message: 9
> Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 12:19:13 +1000
> From: marion wakeford<>
> Subject: [DEV] Queries regarding John Britton
>
> Hi Listers,
> a few weeks ago I found a lot of information about my Britton family from
> the Bishop Tawton parish records, there were a couple of entries that I'm
> not sure what they meant.
>
> John son of John and Eliz bp May 1795 Barnstaple rec 15/8/1796, does that
> mean he was born in Barnstaple and the family moved to Bishop Tawton?
>
> John Britton Tailor Langabeare married Elizabeth Rumbelow 13/1/1788, does
> that mean John came from Langabeare?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Marion
> Sydney