DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2011-05 > 1304457592

From: "Robin Holmes" <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] CRISPIN COLLINGS COLE
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 22:19:52 +0100

Joy Langdon wrote:

There is a will of Crispin COLLINGS, yeoman of Sherford December 12 1799
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?queryT
ype=1&resultcount=1&Edoc_Id=7854018
If all else fails and you are grasping at straws it might be worth
downloading
it to see if it mentions a daughter married to a Cole (it costs £3.50).
Often a
child's middle name is the mother's maiden name and the presence of a
Crispin
COLLINGS in Sherford at about the right time looks hopeful.

Regards,

Joy

The National Archives document is an entry from the death duty registers
rather than an actual will. Crispin Collings Cole is named as a beneficiary
but no relationship is mentioned. A Crispin Collings Elliott is also a
beneficiary. Also mentioned is a Mary Cole daughter of John Cole (kinswoman
of Crispin Collings) who receives a legacy and an annuity of £4 per annum to
be paid out of an estate in Charleton. I assume that the term "kinswoman"
implies some kind of relationship but I have been unable to establish what
this relationship is.

Robin