DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2010-12 > 1293233098

From: Helen Kevan <>
Subject: [DEV] Migration from Devon to London
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 10:24:58 +1100

Hi
I am in Australia and a novice at family history research. Angela's recent email reminded me of a question in my family search.
James and Agnes Cole were married in Bishops Nympton in 1800 and he is listed as a sojourner.
I am looking for any clue as to why James and Agnes Cole's last child [Mary Bale Cole] was born in Tooting ca 1818? I know gypsies supposedly moved about a lot, but the Coles seem to have been very settled in the Bishops Nympton area. The previous child, Eleanor, was born in 1813, the largest gap in the birth pattern. Charles Cole doesn't list anyone after Eleanor, and there is no apparent connection with any other family event that would take them so far from Devon. Ann married Edward Eales in London in 1828, but most of the children married from 1834 onwards in Devon, and Agnes died at BN in 1837, so they'd obviously gone back there. Maybe there are school or other records to show if the Coles left Devon for a while - might also explain why Ann went to London.

Helen Kevan

This thread: