DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2010-11 > 1289095465

From: Mick <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] MICROFICHE FROM DRO
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 12:04:25 +1000

On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 09:43:51 -0000
"Roz Hickman" <> wrote:

> Hi Heather,
>

> As an OPC of several parishes I have bought many microfiche over the
> years. The process is very straightforward you order them and they
> send you an invoice with order details (which can be amended by you)
> and you send payment, they can take up to 3 weeks to arrive.
>

> One tip I have found over the years is that you have to pay the PCC
> £5 per REGISTER, some microfiche contain 3 registers on one fiche
> (Baptism, Marriages and Burials) which can work out very expensive so
> I try to buy several fiche @ £1.50 to get my monies worth. You can
> ask the DRO for a list of their register holdings for a particular
> parish before you order to enable you to work out the best value for
> money.

I've been tempted to obtain these fiche but been held back by the-
1. cost of the foreign exchange/transfer for payment
2. cost and space requirements of a microfiche viewer.

The actual cost of the fiche is not so bad until you need a number of
them.

While working on my study of the How(e)s of Moretonhampstead and their
connections I'm regularly blocked by info that is not included in
either IGI or Moretonhampstead Historical Society's transcriptions of
the parish registers.

mik

This thread: