DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2010-11 > 1288822015

From: "Kate Burhouse" <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] 20 Morgans Buildings Burnthouse Lane Exeter
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 22:06:55 -0000

Dear Michael

I may be wrong, but I think that Morgan's Buildings are the terrace cottages
built around the corner of Dryden Lane and Bovemoor's Lane near what was the
centre of Wonford Village prior to the Burnthouse Lane development being
built in the early 1930s. If you look on Google maps for the junction of
these two roads, then go into Street View you can take a virtual walk around
the corner - the Flying Horse pub is at one end.

This idea is based on looking at the 1901 census and comparing it with the
1905 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map. The 11901 census enumerator started his
work at The Elms which used to be on Dryden Lane, roughly where Kipling
Drive is today. He then visited Morgan's Buildings followed by a pub called
the Country House Inn (This is now the Flying Horse, see
http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/EM/2_exeter_pub_list.html )

The other clue is if you count the number of existing cottages (25) then
there is a gap where the entrance to the pub car park was made which
originally had 2 more cottages, then the Exeter Memories pub page says the
pub was 'enlarged 1936 when two cottages incorporated into original house'
so that makes 29 which is the number of Morgan's Buildings in the 1901
census.

I see your Battishills were there in 1901 and 1911. I sometimes drive past
these cottages on my way home from work. They're a bit lost in what is now
quite a built up area, but was then just a small village outside of Exeter.

Hope this helps

Kate