DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2010-10 > 1287188936

From: Ray Hayes <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] James Pound THORNE and Mary Jane GLIDDON marred Exeter1861
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:28:56 +1100

Hi again,

Thank you very much to those of you who have replied with suggestions.

I was not clear enough in my first message, I was not seeking help
deciphering the birth places in the 1871 census page, but rather hoping
that someone may be connected to the family or have information
regarding the family.

William Thorne was born c 1798 at St Giles in the Wood according to
census records. He married Charlotte Pound in 1832 at Northam, and they
had at least five children at Northam, Mary A c 1833, James Pound 1834,
Catherine or Caroline 1837, William c 1839 and Charlotte c 1842.

I have Thorne ancestors from St Giles in the Wood, and William may be
related.

My ancestors William Thorne c 1744 Langtree and Dorothy Blake c 1742
married at St Giles in the Wood in 1771, and had at least 8 children there;
Mary 1772 married Thomas Madge 1804
William 1773 married Emlyn Isaac 1798
John 1775 married Jane Geaton 1802
Sarah 1778 married John Folland 1802
Dorothy 1780 married William Powe 1810
Richard 1784 married Sarah Smale 1810
Francis 1787 married Ann Burridge 1811 (my direct ancestors)
Grace 1789 married William Passmore 1808

I do not have details of any children to William and Emlyn, it is
possible that William born c 1898 may be their son ?

I visited St Giles in the Wood in May 2006, and spent a lovely hour or
so wandering through wet grass in the rain in the churchyard finding and
photographing some related Thorne headstones.

Bye for now.

Ray