DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2010-08 > 1281952448

From: Marion Stainsby <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Thomas BROWN's will
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 19:54:08 +1000

On 16/08/2010, at 11:20 AM, Marion Haynes wrote:

> I just loved reading this will, and am mind bogged to think one would
> bequeath half a garden or Malt house, and to leave just a room in a
> house is
> simply amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this with us Trevor.
> It really
> gives you room for thought.

A similar Will, dated 1811, was made by William CARSLAKE from a large
Sidbury clan. This particular property was in Dorset, but the main
beneficiary was his nephew Timon CARSLAKE, bpt at Branscombe and
married & buried at Sidbury:

> I give unto my dear wife Ann Carslake the Parlour & the Cellar
> adjoining the same being the Eastern part of the messuage or
> dwelling house wherein I now live part of and belonging to my
> ffreehold Tenement or Tenements Estate & Lands known by the name of
> Coldharbour situate within the parish of Stanton Saint Gabriels
> aforesaid together with the two Bed Chambers & Closet over the said
> Parlour & Cellar and the Lower Garden belonging to the said Messuage
> & also the free use of the water at the trough & the necessary in
> common & liberty to walk on the said Estate doing no damage thereon
> to hold the same to my said Wife for & during the term of her
> natural life

I particularly like sharing the water at the trough, and "the
necessary", and I hope the members of Thomas BROWN's family had equal
access to sanitary arrangements!

William CARSLAKE had been a bachelor until the year of his death, when
he was about sixty. He had to write a codicil to increase the annuity
his widow was to receive from the estate, and I can't help wondering
how Ann got on with her nephew by marriage. Timon married the next
year; I wonder if he brought his bride to the shared house, and
whether she felt Ann did "damage" to the Estate. He ended up at
Buckley in Sidbury. It does indeed give room for thought, as Marion
says.

Another Marion in Victoria, Aust.

This thread: