DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2010-07 > 1279004329

From: Robyn Waymouth <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Tithe apportionments
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 14:58:49 +0800

The source of the maps is clearly stated on this page, in the box adjacent to the
thumbnail map.

http://www.eastdevonaonb.org.uk/Digitaltithemaps.htm

Robyn

On Mon Jul 12 18:16 , "Tompkins, M L.L. (Dr.)" sent:

>The importance of quoting the archival reference for information cannot be
understated, and is certainly not a trivial matter - no website should ever
provide data without also stating its source.

>I don't understand how the fact that the necessary information is easily stated
can be a "reason" for not providing it (a single sentence in the Introduction
would suffice).

>Matt Tompkins

Devon Apportionments are held at the Devon Record Office in Exeter under the
reference tithemap/parish.

>The data contained on this website was the product of almost ten years work by
volunteers, so could not this criticism be considered trivial?
>Regards
>
>Graham Parnell

[','','','')">] On Behalf Of
Tompkins, M L.L. (Dr.)
>Sent: 12 July 2010 08:31
>Subject: [DEV] Tithe apportionments
>

>The Friends of Devon's Archives' Apportionments website is an excellent
resource, but it seems to be lacking one crucial piece of information - the
archive where each Apportionment is held and its archival reference.
Consequently you can access and use the information contained in the
apportionments but cannot cite it properly in your written output. Or am I
missing something - is there perhaps some way of discovering this information
which I haven't found?

>I wonder whether an inoperative link in the Intro page
(http://foda.org.uk/TitheIntro.aspx\), in the 'Devon Tithe Records' paragraph,
may be the answer. It says there:

>"The maps and apportionments for Devon, numbering some 469 in total, are mainly
of the ecclesiastical parishes, but include a few other miscellaneous districts
or tithings (for a complete list CLICK HERE)".

>Unfortunately 'Click here' isn't actually a hyperlink, but perhaps once it has
been set up it will provide not just a list of the Maps and Apportionments but
also their location and archival reference?