DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2010-03 > 1269877752

From: "Stella Nicholls" <>
Subject: [DEV] Dartmouth Townstall marriage
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:54:28 +0100

Hi Listers

I have a little puzzle today. I have just received a copy marriage cert from the GRO for a marriage which took place in 1875 in Dartmouth. The Certificate is reprinted from the original old GRO entry not a modern day handwritten copy. It reads

"Marriage solemnized at Dartmouth in the Parish of Townstal in the County of Devon, with the italics representing the handwritten bit

then the entry of the couple but then underneath is says

Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church of England after Banns Jono H Knapp Off Minister.

In this case Established has been crossed out and of England has been written in after Church

Using the Historical Directories site I've established that in White's for 1878 in Dartmouth Rev John Harvey Knapp was the chaplain and naval instructor for HMS Britannia

My question is has anyone any idea why this certificate has been altered. I don't know Dartmouth well but from GENUKI it looks like St Clements is the parish church for Townstall but there is no mention of St Clement on the certificate could it be that the marriage didn't take place in the "Parish Church" and perhaps took place on or at HMS Britannia. My ancestor was a carpenter so perhaps he was based there although he was about 25 at the time of the marriage so a bit old for doing an apprenticeship although from googling I see it was an officer training establishment and he definitely didn't end up an officer in the RN unless he was teaching the young officers rudimentary basics of carpentry or doing running repairs to the ships. Or perhaps John Knapp married them in the Parish Church rather than the local minister.

I look forward to any theories or comments.

Stella

This thread: