DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2010-02 > 1266021894

From: William Cooke <>
Subject: [DEV] Quartered Shield at St Giles in the Wood
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:44:54 -0500

Hello, list:

I'm hoping someone with a knowledge of heraldry can help me with the

Carved above the door to the north transept of the parish church of St
Giles is a carving of quartered shield. The arms are definately not
those of the ROLLE family, who were the primary landowners at St Giles
in the Wood from the 15th to the 19th century. One possibility is that
the arms are those of Mark George Kerr TREFUSIS, son of the 17th Baron
CLINTON, who inherited the ROLLE estates upon the death of John ROLLE in
1842. The upper left quarter appears does appear to be the TREFUSIS arms
but I cannot identify the other three quarters.

A photograph can be found at:

Bill Cooke
Ontario, Canada
OPC Atherington, High Bickington, St Giles in the Wood, Tawstock and

This thread: