DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2010-02 > 1265154935

From: Joy Langdon <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Robert PRUDOM late 18th century Exeter
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 23:55:35 +0000 (GMT)

Have you tried searching on the National Archives A2A (Access to Archives) site?  I found several documents that might give you some leads.  The same names crop up several times and it looks as if the STEED family is the link.

1740 July 17  Release of legacy of £100 + interest and share in moiety of trust estate
1) Frances SALMON of London, spinster and elder daughter of Thomas SALMON, late of same, mercer, and his wife Frances, daughter of Frances STEED, late of Exeter, widow, both dec'd.
2) Susanna PRUDOM of Exeter, widow and other daughter of Frances STEED.
3) John TREHAWKE of Liskeard, Cornwall, gent.
4) Joseph STENNETT late of Exeter now of London, gent. and Samuel WAYMOUTH of Exeter, tobacconist, the two surviving trustees under will of Frances STEED.

There are quite a lot of documents naming Susanna PRUDOM, Robert and his half brother so take a look.

Don't forget that spelling was haphazard and you may find alternatives (PRUDHAM, PRUDHOM, PREDHAM, PRIDHAM) all of which are supposed to be derived from PRUDHOMME.  On A2A there is a 13thc document naming William PRUDOME from Barnstaple and a 17thc Robert PRUDHAM from Bradworthy so you may not trace back to Yorkshire.