DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2010-02 > 1265147691

From: Robyn Waymouth <>
Subject: [DEV] Robert PRUDOM late 18th century Exeter
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 05:54:51 +0800

Hi all,

Once again I'm enquiring about this gentleman. He's my greatest brick wall and
just tantalises me.

Robert PRUDOM died in April 1792 in Exeter. He was wealthy ("possesed of much
property") and left a considerable estate to my ancestor Henry WAYMOUTH. I
suspect he was the son of another Robert PRUDOM, mercer and his wife Susanna who
signed the Exeter city oath rolls, Michaelmas 1723.

It's highly likely he was a Dissenter.

I'm wondering if he was a grandson of yet another Robert PRUDOM (d. 1708) who
established the first Baptist church in Bridlington, Yorkshire - sheer conjecture
this! - although it might explain why there are so few references to the name in
Devon, and so many in Yorkshire.

I'm trying to establish if he was related to Henry WAYMOUTH - why else would he
have left the bulk of his estate to him after all? Several minor legacies went
to Waymouth relatives.

The other detail I know about him is that he was half brother to John TREHAWKE
and that their mother was Susannah nee STEED. There are Cornish connections here.

I'd welcome any thoughts anyone might have on where to go next.

Best wishes,

Robyn
Melbourne - hot again, roll on winter!

This thread: