DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2009-12 > 1259850584

From: Angela Marks <>
Subject: [DEV] German Nationals WW1 RAMSCH
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 14:29:44 +0000

Hi All

I'm working on a project to trace all the descendants of my ggg grandfather George HOSKINS of Sidmouth, tracing their migration as a model for the general migration of agricultural workers from Devon to the cities in the 19th century.

Though this isn't a 'Devon person', it's related, and given the breadth of knowledge of Listers, wondered if anyone could help.

One of George's great granddaughters, Charlotte CHANIN married a German National, a waiter named Albert RAMSCH in Walthamstow in 1898 (her grandfather, Gustavus Chanin, who married George Hoskins' daughter, was also a Devon migrant, coming from a Tiverton farming family, but that's by the way).

Charlotte & Albert had two sons, Albert (b 1900) and Claude (b1905), and in the 1911 census Albert Snr is still a German National.

I wonder what happened to him and the family during WW1?

Does anyone know of any records relating to aliens and their families at this time?

I've Googled German aliens, but, apart from Ancestry's database of registration cards, which relates to the USA, everything else seems to be too general, mainly about the camps on the Isle of Man.

Many thanks

Angela in Dawlish

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394592/direct/01/

This thread: