DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2009-11 > 1258822476

From: Nancy Frey <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Data Privacy
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:54:36 -0500

Hi Listers,

I don't think you fully understand what a previous poster said about
creating a GEDCOM. The best way to put your family tree online is to have
your information in a genealogy program on your own computer. If you don't
already have one, there's one for free at www.familysearch.org. All
genealogy programs will create a GEDCOM, which is a way of sharing your
family history with others either directly or by posting online.

The PRIVACY issue only comes into play when you are sharing your
information. Your genealogy program should contain everything you know
about all your relatives, living or dead, otherwise you won't be able to
link to yourself and your children. But when you create a GEDCOM to share
your information, you select one or more options of how to show people who
might be living. I usually choose to show names, but without any other
information. Other people choose to show the word 'living'. I find the
latter of very little value.

I hope this further explanation is helpful.

Regards,

Nancy Frey
Newcastle, Ontario, CANADA
OPC for Ansford & Castle Cary, Somerset
Moderator of Yahoo! Catsash Hundred Group
Moderator of Yahoo! Glaston Twelve Hides Hundred Group
Moderator of Yahoo! NorthWiltshire Group
Moderator of Yahoo! SouthWiltshire Group
Moderator of Yahoo! WestWiltshire Group
Moderator of Yahoo! FULFORD_North Devon Group
Moderator of Yahoo! DAVIDGE Connections Group