DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2009-10 > 1255650194

From: "Caroline Davis" <>
Subject: [DEV] Joseph BROKENSHIRE father of Rosina Anholt Brokenshire
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 16:43:14 -0700

Hello Listers,

I need your help, please.

I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get information on the birth and
family of Rosina Anholt Brokenshire who married Thomas Voysey Wills 29
Feb1840 in Taunton, my great grandparents.

The marriage certificate indicates her father was Joseph Brokenshire. A
death certificate for Joseph Brokenshire (hope it is the correct one) has
him dying in Exeter 16 Aug, 1853.

He was an Ensign in the 11th Veteran Battalion.

I think that Rosina must have been born to Joseph in Denmark. I think that
would explain the notations on the censuses. On the census her place of
birth is recorded as British Subject (Denmark) .

I researched Anholt as a surname in Denmark and did not get very far, but I
did find that during the Gunboat Wars in the early 1800's, 3 men of a
veteran battalion were posted in Anholt. Anholt is a small Danish island,
midway between Sweden and Jutland. There were also vessels that were active
there.

Is there a way of finding the names of these 3 men? Or information as to
the movements of the 11th Veteran Battalion? Is there a way to find if
Joseph Brokenshire had an infant in Denmark?

Any direction where to look next would be very much appreciated. Any other
suggestions on how I can obtain details on Rosina Anholt WILLS would also
be welcomed.

Thanks

This thread: