DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2009-07 > 1248466973

From: ANTHONY BIRCH <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] DEVON Digest, Vol 4, Issue 226
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 20:22:53 +0000

Hello Devon Group. I've been a member of this group previously before we moved. The message about the "Lost Colony Project" caught my eye because one of the names listed in the article is "WILLIS". I belong to a Yahoo WILLIS group on-line and I know they've been doing some DNA research. I don't know a lot about what's happening with the DNA research with this group, but I'm wondering if it would be all right for me to put this message (#5 below from Debbie Kennett) in my WILLIS research group.

I live in the State of Washington near the Pacific Ocean, USA, but was born in Exeter, Devon. My mother is English and my father American, so that makes me both (I guess). The main names I'm researching are DAVIS and TOWNSEND in Exeter. Later on I'll put more information in here. If I haven't put this message in this forum properly then please let me know how to do it the right way. Thanks.

Janette

> 5. The Mayor of Bideford and the Lost Colony Project
> ()

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 07:25:04 EDT
> Subject: [DEV] The Mayor of Bideford and the Lost Colony Project
>
> A further article on the Lost Colony of Roanoke Island has been published
> in the North Devon Gazette. Roanoke Island was one of the first places in
> America to be settled. The ships were probably built in Devon and sailed
> from Bideford. Many of these first colonists were believed to be from Devon
> and particularly from the Bideford area.
>
> The newspaper article can be read here. It contains a long list of the
> Devon names thought to have been involved:
>
> http://bit.ly/Z5rSo
>
> This webpage gives a brief summary of the story of the Lost Colony:
>
> http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~molcgdrg/
>
> The official Lost Colony Project website can be found here:
>
> http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~molcgdrg
>
> If anyone is interested in helping with the project I'm happy to forward
> e-mails to Andy Powell, the Mayor of Bideford. Alternatively you can contact
> him through the North Devon Gazette.
>
> Debbie Kennett

http://www.bing.com/search?q=restaurants&form=MLOGEN&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TXT_MLOGEN_Local_Local_Restaurants_1x1

This thread: