DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2007-11 > 1194458146

From: "John Pitts" <>
Subject: [DEV] Devon/Beds Stray Marriage Pitt(Devon) Church (Beds)
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 17:55:46 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: [mailto:]On
Behalf Of
Sent: 04 November 2006 08:08
Subject: DEVON Digest, Vol 1, Issue 72

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Woolfardisworthy (Dr Chris Burgoyne)
2. Postal Scam warning ()
3. "Worthy" names (Marion Stainsby)
4. Workhouse - The Story of Workhouses (Edna)
5. ST GILES ON THE HEATH Is this the correct name? (Malcolm Davey)
6. ADMIN: Re: Postal Scam warning (Deborah O'Brien)

Message: 1
Date: 03 Nov 2006 10:14:53 +0000
From: Dr Chris Burgoyne <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Woolfardisworthy

Yes

Many years ago I had a vacation job working with Devon River Authority,
sorting applications by farmers to abstract water. These had to be sorted
by parish, but many of the farmers wrote the names phoneticly. It taught me
many things about the parish names and boundaries, and it took me quite a
while to realise I only needed two piles for the Woolfardisworthy
applications and not another pair for the two Woolserys.

I think this is getting a bit off topic - if anyone wishes to discuss my
comments about pronunciation I suggest we do it off list.

Chris

On Nov 3 2006, Jon Elworthy wrote:

>Does the Wolsery shortening apply to both Woolfardisworthy's? There is one
>near Crediton and another near Hartland.
>
>I was also called Elsery by several friends from North Cornwall, but can't
>remember hearing that other names ending with "worthy" received the same
>treatment.
>

>Jon Elworthy

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 07:51:43 EST
Subject: [DEV] Postal Scam warning
To: , ,

Hello listers,

I have just received the following warning from a colleague. Some of you
are
probably aware of it.
Apologies to listers outside the UK, but no doubt someone will be trying to
"scam" you as well.

Regards,
Bob Mather

Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it
has been confirmed by Royal Mail.
The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel
Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and
that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a premium rate number). DO
NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize. If
you
call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already
have been billed ?15 for the phone call.

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 17:36:20 +1100
From: Marion Stainsby <>
Subject: [DEV] "Worthy" names

I've been told that Bradworthy, where my WALTER great-grands came
from, is pronounced "Brad'ry". Has anyone else met this?

Marion in Belmont, Vic, Oz DFHS #11884

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 13:34:00 -0500
From: "Edna" <>
Subject: [DEV] Workhouse - The Story of Workhouses
To: "DEVON-L" <>
Dear All

I received a marriage entry from a recent GOONS Marriage Challenge

22/12/1879 @ Kempston Parish Church, Bedford by banns

Richard Pitt 27 bachelor mason of Sandown, Isle of wight father Edward Pitt
Officer in HBN signed
Emma Church 30 spinster of Kempston, daughter of Thomas Church, gardener
signed
service performed by Henry Williams (Curate)
Witnesses George Church & Emma Mayer

In 1881 the happy couple are living at 2 Oakley Cottages, North Street,
Brading, Hampshire RG11-1182f124
Richard age 29 born Plymouth Devon mason
Emma age 31 born Kempston, Bedford

I hope this news helps somebody on these groups. Perhaps sks would pass to
Strays officers at DFHS & BFHS as I am a bit short of time.

Regards

John Pitts
GOONS 1743 Pitts ONS

Checked by AVG Free Edition.