DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2007-08 > 1188396361

From: "Maureen Selley" <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] CHURCH RECORDS
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:06:01 +0100

Hello Syd,

For undeposited (or missing) registers, check the Devon Record Office
website, to see where the "gaps" appear

>From the Devon Record Office website:
Access to registers held in parish churches
Registers which are in use are still held by the incumbent ( the minister)
at the parish church. In a small parish in which very few baptisms, burials
etc. take place, these registers may have been in use since the 19th
century. Under the Parochial Measure registers more than 100 years old
should be deposited in the designated Record Office. However, some
incumbents still have older, completed registers in their possession. A
parish may choose to hold its own registers instead of depositing them,
provided that it can be shown that they have the correct storage facilities
in which to keep them, in terms of security and environmental control.

You can find out what registers we hold for a particular parish from our
on-line list of parish registers
http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/democracycommunities/neighbourhoods-villages/record_office/record_offices_in_devon/parish_register_list.htm.

If you wish to see registers still in the possession of an incumbent, you
can contact us and we will supply his/her name and contact details , from
the latest Diocesan Directory.

To encourage to deposit of registers, Devon Family History Society will pay
for a replacement register.

Regards,

Maureen