DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2007-02 > 1171636298

From: Anne Peat <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Death Index Query
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:31:38 +0000

The same page number means the deaths were registered at the same time,
probably, or a very short time apart.
It could have been an accident - or an epidemic that killed several
members of the family.
I am afraid, yes, you will have to get the death certificates to
satisfy your curiosity.
HTH
Anne
On 16 Feb 2007, at 13:03, Helen Sullivan wrote:

> Hi Listers - back again after a long absence.
>
> My great grandfather was Thomas BROWN of Beaworthy (bc 1828) to
> Charles Brown and Agness Walter. Thomas had a sister Mary BROWN (b
> 1831) who married Thomas TOM in 1861 (Sept qtr. Holsworthy 5b/885)
>
> They had the following children - (maybe more - I haven't checked
> thoroughly)
>
> Susannah TOM (1863)
> Charles Brown TOM (1864)
> James Gray TOM (1866)
> Mary Maria TOM (1870)
>

> Whilst looking at BDM indexes I came across the following deaths -
>
> Susannah TOM - died June qtr 1875 Holsworthy 5b/380 - age 12
> Charles B TOM - died June qtr 1875 Holsworthy 5b/380 - age 11
>
> My question is - is this an unusual coincidence to have the same month
> and quarter, same folio/page number? OR is it possible that their
> deaths might have been the result of an accident. If so, I would
> have thought that they would have had consecutive numbers not the
> same?
>
> I know that twins have the same birth number (but birth times noted) -
> but what about deaths?
>
> Would love to know what happened (I know, I will have to buy a
> certificate!!!) - any chance that perhaps it might have been mentioned
> in a local paper or there was an inquest? Where to from here - any
> suggestions?? Any offers of a look up in a newspaper?
>
> Thanks
> Helen Sullivan
> Brisbane, Australia

This thread: