DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2006-07 > 1152521794

From: Sheila Jones <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Name spelling variations
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:56:34 +0100

Hi Brian,

I have much the same sort of problem in the same place!

My interest is in the HOARE family (also spelt HORE, HOORE etc.) in
Stockland.

I record the surname consistently as HOARE as this is the spelling I
associate with most as it was my maiden name. However, I then use the
notes facilities within my genealogy programme to record the sources and
associated spelling for each event I am recording. Similarly, I also have
COLLINS and COLLINGS in Stockland and record them as COLLINS with a similar
note where the name appears as COLLINGS

I also record the county as it was for the event - so Dorset prior to 1842
and Devon from 1842.

Best wishes
Sheila

This thread: