DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2006-05 > 1147194806

From: Diana Trenchard <>
Subject: Re: Francis Drake
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 18:13:26 +0100

In a reply to Carolyn about Drake ancestry, Ken wrote:

" There is no Devon parish of Ashe. . . "

I agree that there is no
parish of Ashe, but almost certainly the reference is to Ashe House nr
Axminster, which was the home of a Drake family for several centuries.
I'm not sure in which parish Ashe House was situated, most likely
Musbury, but that may be wrong. It is certainly on the east side of the
River Axe between Axminster and Axmouth.

Sir Winston CHURCHILL (1620-1688) of Minterne and Wootton Glanville,
both in Dorset, married Elizabeth DRAKE one of the twelve children of
John & Eleanor DRAKE of Ashe House near Axminster. They went on to have
at least three children including:
John Churchill (b 1650 at Ashe House) who became the first Duke of
Marlborough and ancestor of Sir Winston Churchill of the 20C.
Arabella Churchill who became a mistress of King James II
Charles Churchill, also in the army.

The first Sir Winston CHURCHILL (his parents were John Churchill and
Sarah WINSTON) was a strong Royalist in the Civil War. (I'm writing
most of the rest from memory so may have some facts wrong) His Dorset
homes were in danger from the Roundheads. He, his wife and ?children
fled to her parents' home at Ashe but that house in turn was burned on
18 Jan 1644 by Poulet. For his loyalty to the King Sir Winston was
knighted at the Restoration in 1660.

I have a note that after Ashe House was burned down, the Drake &
Churchill families fled to nearby Trill, another of the Drake
properties. Another Sir John Drake succeeded in 1669 and set to work to
build a new Ashe House. I don't know whether the one who died c1669 was
the father or brother of Elizabeth DRAKE. The Drakes of Ashe femaled
out about 50 years after the second Ashe House was built, having been
there for over three centuries.

Having written all the above about the Drakes of Ashe house, there is
absolutely no information as to whether they are any connection with the
American Francis Drake quoted by Carolyn. This would have to be checked
and documented, but at least it gives one line to investigate.

Diana

This thread: