DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2005-09 > 1127399258

From: "J.E. Harris" <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Plymouth Charles
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:44:15 -0700

Hi Paula
Sorry but my Hugh Peskett book (Guide to Parish and NonParochial Register of
Devon & Cornwall) indicates that this is one of the many Devon parishes that
is not in the IGI. In other words the LDS is not likely to have a film for
it.

Peskett has it as Plymouth Charles (King & Martyr) and the original
registers for that parish are from 1645. These are held in the Devon Record
Office at Exeter and the West Devon RO in Plymouth should have fiche for it
also. So -- unless someone can search for you in either one of those places
it doesn't look as though it can be done any other way.

Devon is only 63% covered in the IGI and there are many parishes like this
that the LDS has not been allowed to film. It is always a good idea to check
the Genuki Devon for the parish you need as this will tell you whether or
not it has been transcribed and if it is in the IGI. No IGI no film! The LDS
has mostly filmed only the transcriptions done and published eons ago by the
Devon and Cornwall Record Socty. The clue to that fact is that the LDS
always says in their catalogue that it was filmed in the Exeter City
Library. When you see that you know this is not the original parish register
and that you are at the mercy of the transcriber! Some transcribers are good
and some not so as they do not give all of the details to be found in the
original registers. It is always advisable to check the the original
registers even after you find an entry in the IGI and this is especially
true if it is something put in there from an LDS "patron" as a lot of those
items are strongly suspect.

Jean Harris in Toronto, Ontario
DFHS#2006