DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2005-09 > 1127307541

From: P Williams <>
Subject: Re: 11th (North Devonshire) Regiment of Foot
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 06:59:14 -0600

Hi Joan,

I dont know if you are aware of it but the early Army records can be viewed
at the PRO in London. This of course is very difficult for you living in NZ
but the following websites may be helpful to you:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~clday/milrec.htm

From my own experience original Regimental Rolls can be viewed on request at
the PRO and are fascinating documents since they list everyone in the
Regiments, where they were, at what date, what was done and who was paid
what. So the past history of individuals may be traced by month.

The PRO also has the individual records of persons who served in the
Regiments at about the time you are interested in. These records are
extremely useful in that contain DOB, and place of birth by Parish so they
form a direct link to the Parish Records or establish which Parish Records
should be searched.

This information base is computer searchable and very easy to use. Indeed,
in the case of my search from entering the name of my ancestor etc to
finding the right film (stored 15 ft away) took less than five minutes.
However, not all dates are covered and searchers will want to check the
exact dates that the searchable records cover before starting out.

The documents themselves were extremely comprehensive to the point where I
now know more about my ancestor than I do of just about anyone else. For
instance date and place of birth, physical date and characteristics and so
forth. In addition there were the discharge papers of the individual.

I understand that the LDS have filmed a lot of these records. Perhaps SKS
who has searched these films can offer advice and direction on what is
available. Its a long way to the PRO for many on the list.

Hope this helps,

Peter in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada