DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2005-09 > 1127084816

From: "MSteer" <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] 11th (North Devonshire) Regiment of Foot
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:29:17 +1000

Hi Joan: The 11th Foot (Devonshire Regiment), served in Ireland from 1689 to
1702. They were at the Siege of Londonderry and that Battle of the Boyne
where they were known as Hanmer's Regiment.
They were in Ireland again from 1775 to 1783. During this period Ireland
became a holding area from which regiments departed on American service
during the revolt of the colonies. In 1776 the Regiment received orders to
prepare for embarkation and service in North America, but for some unknown
reason the order was cancelled and they stayed in Ireland.
In August 1776 they were in Galway.
In 1777 they were in Dublin
In 1780 they moved to Cashel (12 miles East of Tipperary)
In 1781 they were in Waterford, in 1782 in Cork.
In 1783 they sailed for Gibralter.

The Regiment's records are kept at the Keep Military Museum in Dorchester
http://www.keepmilitarymuseum.org/
They've just reprinted volume 1 of the Regimental History which deals with
the period of service in Ireland in some detail. Information on the book is
at:

Tel 01305 264066

Best wishes, Mike.

I hope this is helpful, Mike.