DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2005-05 > 1114949304

From: Paul Benyon <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Madge Ancestry
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 13:10:49 +0100

1 It is my experience, being on the doorstep, metaphorically
speaking, of Portland Convict Prison, and having looked at the census,
that few of the inmates are local people ie they come from around the

2 If you can discover the court from which he was committed then court
records would probably be available in the appropriate country record

Following a recent thread on this list you "might" also find records
of his time in prison at the NA/PRO, but I have no idea what these
might contain, if indeed there is anything at all !.

On Sun, 1 May 2005 11:59:32 +0100, "John Hendry"
<> wrote:

>My two questions are -
>Is it likely that he was convicted around Exeter but imprisoned in Portsea,
>or is it likely that he was what ever he was convicted of occurred near
>Is there anywhere I may find out more detail on this J. Madge and his
>In 1871 the family including the father resurface in Newport, Monmouthshire,
>Wales. However they have started using the surname Dart (Joseph's mother's
>maiden name) with what I am pretty sure is Joseph calling himself John. I am
>sure it is the correct family because the children Reuben, Isaac, William,
>and Herman (1862) are all present plus one or two other bits of info. The
>births of William (1857) and Herman (1862) would suggest that Joseph's
>incarceration was mo more than about 4 years.

50.33.50N 02.26.70W

This thread: