DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2005-05 > 1114949304

From: Paul Benyon <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Madge Ancestry
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 13:10:49 +0100

John

1 It is my experience, being on the doorstep, metaphorically
speaking, of Portland Convict Prison, and having looked at the census,
that few of the inmates are local people ie they come from around the
country.

2 If you can discover the court from which he was committed then court
records would probably be available in the appropriate country record
office.

Following a recent thread on this list you "might" also find records
of his time in prison at the NA/PRO, but I have no idea what these
might contain, if indeed there is anything at all !.

Paul

On Sun, 1 May 2005 11:59:32 +0100, "John Hendry"
<> wrote:

>My two questions are -
>Is it likely that he was convicted around Exeter but imprisoned in Portsea,
>or is it likely that he was what ever he was convicted of occurred near
>Portsea?
>Is there anywhere I may find out more detail on this J. Madge and his
>conviction?
>
>In 1871 the family including the father resurface in Newport, Monmouthshire,
>Wales. However they have started using the surname Dart (Joseph's mother's
>maiden name) with what I am pretty sure is Joseph calling himself John. I am
>sure it is the correct family because the children Reuben, Isaac, William,
>and Herman (1862) are all present plus one or two other bits of info. The
>births of William (1857) and Herman (1862) would suggest that Joseph's
>incarceration was mo more than about 4 years.

50.33.50N 02.26.70W
http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Naval.html

This thread: