DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2004-08 > 1092039128

From: "Terry Blackmore" <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] "Lost Cousins" Think first before entering your information
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:12:22 +0100

Hi Frances

I'm not condemning the site. Just advising people to wait and see what
happens when it becomes available to the Public. Not saying that it is, but
it would not be the first or last site in the world of Family History that
has begun by inviting people to make entries to the site, by offering a
sprat to catch a mackerel, so that in the future they can open up with lots
of info for free to them, then charge everyone for access, and information.
If you have been in Family History on the internet anywhere near as
long as I have, you would be like me very weary of every new site that
appears. For a site to be any use it has to in my opinion prove itself
before I use it. Seen it too many times in the past to trust every internet
site that appears. They sound good, but a ".com" costs money to run and no
one likes to pay out money for the rest of us users. I know of any number of
people over the years who have paid out, and got back exactly nothing for
their money.
My view is still the same wait and see what happens when it opens up to
the Public.
Answers, and replies should not be to DEVON-L on this subject which is
really off topic, but to me off list.

Regards Terry