DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2004-03 > 1080488549

From: "Terry Leaman" <>
Subject: Re: Will of Mary Collins, Exeter, 1771 (Was: [DEV] PCC Devon Wills)
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:42:52 +0100

Trveor , it saddens me as well, but that is the way the system works in
England- the will of a person is private property- even when you apply for a
copy of a will from the Probate office you're only getting a copy of a copy,
albeit if a fairly recent will then you normally get a photocopy, of a
photocopy of the original.
The other major problem we have is that when land is sold and the details
are first registered at the Land Registry, then after registration the old
deeds are no longer required and are often disposed of- a great loss to
history and family historians, what people don't realise is that the local
County record office will accept and store these documents if they're
offered to them. Or you get an instance oft related in this area of the old
lady many years ago who was asked if she had the deeds relating to her
house,as it was believed it was possibly a property owned by the Abbey at
Torre, said that as they were all in foreign and she couldn't read them she
burnt them:-))

Please no discussion on list about this UNLESS strictly Devon related.
Regards
Terry Leaman
Torquay
Devon.
OPC for Torquay and DFHS representative on Devon-L
Visit my web site at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/terryleaman/index.html for
information and photos
about Torquay
List owner for Eng-Devon mailing list
http://www.british-genealogy.com/mailman/listinfo/ENG-DEVON
List owner for Gen-Coastguards mailing list
http://www.british-genealogy.com/mailman/listinfo/gen-coastguards
Joint Co-ordinator for DFHS/FreeCen 1861 Devon census transcription project-
go to http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/terryleaman/1861-web-site/main.htm for
details