DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2003-08 > 1060349532

From: "Terry Leaman" <>
Subject: Re: Fwd: [DEV] OPC scheme
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 14:32:12 +0100

Hi, I wasn't going to get involved in this thread- But feel I must to
counter Luke's message- The Devon Record Office does not make the rules- it
actually owns very little, most of the huge archives are actually owned by
other people and deposited with the Record Office for safe keeping (either
voluntarily or compulsorily) The rules governing access are laid down either
by law or by the owners. I know there are records which are recorded as
withdrawn from public view at the request of the owner. The owners can
remove the records from the Record Office at any time they see fit- in some
cases they have to prove that they can be properly stored under various Acts
of Parliament. All Church of England Parish records are still owned by the
Church authorities and the DRO can only do what the church authorities will
allow them to do, this is why permission is required to publish the
information on the web. It is only thanks to the hard work of the Archivist
John Draisey that we are now able to purchase, for Personal use only,
microfiche of registers which are already filmed. Microfilming is an
expensive and time consuming business so the amount that can be done is
obviously limited.
Many records like Hospitals, Asylums etc are governed by the same law as the
census , in other words they are sealed for 100 years (unless you have and
can prove a family reason for access- this does not include genealogy).
Many records simply do not exist any more, Devon wills being a prime
example. In the case of Tormoham - it was reported way back in the mid 1850s
that the contents of the parish chest had disappeared.
But Please DO NOT blame the Devon Record Office for something over which it
has no control.
Regards
Terry Leaman
Torquay
Devon.
OPC for Torquay and DFHS representative on Devon-L
Visit my web site at www.leaman.freeserve.co.uk for information and photos
about Torquay
List owner for Eng-Devon mailing list
http://www.british-genealogy.com/mailman/listinfo/ENG-DEVON
Joint Co-ordinator for DFHS/FreeCen 1861 Devon census transcription project-
go to http://www.leaman.freeserve.co.uk/1861-web-site/main.htm for details