DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2003-01 > 1042907742

From: "Brian Cave" <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Free BMD and errors
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:35:46 -0000

Andrew asked, "Has anyone noticed differences in the BMD database from the
true birth cert entries?"

Hi Andrew,

You are not by any chance confusing the 'actual date' of the event, with the
'quarter date' in which it was filed are you? A birth registered in July
1895 would be found in the Sept 1895 Quarter.
Returns were made every three months and the Quarterly GRO Index is arranged
in Quarterly volumes - and this is what is recorded in the Free BMD lists.

Regards
Brian