DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2003-01 > 1042902325

From: "dmatt" <>
Subject: Re: [DEV] Free BMD and errors
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:05:25 -0000

Iris,

I transcribe for Freebmd as I know others on this list do - and we
>are sent scans of the original documents witht very very strict orders NOT
>to guess at anything we cannot read. Everything is double transcribed,
>cross-checked, and a panel of experts get together to work out the things
>that cannot be so easily read. If there are doubts, the thing often gets
put
>out twice, I think, in both possible versions.......so it really is a
>mystery.......

I agree with most of what you say, except that I saw some Newton Abbott
entries listed with question marks in the middle.

On the other hand I find LOADS of things "wrong" on IGI..........

Agreed, but it was ok until people started guessing the information without
any documentation, eg a marriage in 1216!.

David