DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2002-04 > 1019074833

From: Vicki Lindsay Thauvin <>
Subject: [ADMIN] Microsoft's Internet Security Update
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:20:33 -0700

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that the mail which appears to come from Microsoft
with a subject line of "Internet Security Update" is spam as well as a virus.
Viruses are not dangerous without their attachments and RootsWeb does
not allow attachments to their lists; virus messages shouldn't reach
RootsWeb's lists. However, you may well receive the virus message,
complete with attachment, directly, perhaps (almost certainly
unknowingly) from someone who obtained your email address form a
DEVON-L message.

It is always better to be "safe than sorry" when dealing
with virus-infected email. With the "better to be safe than sorry" thought in
mind, you should always make sure you've installed the latest anti-virus
patch or upgrade from your vendor. It is a good idea, if possible, to
configure your computer/software to automatically check for updates on a
regular basis. For this particular virus - do not open the message.

This spam/virus message should not be making it to any RootsWeb mailing lists
as the Spam Poster shouldn't be subscribed to any RootsWeb list. The
Microsoft "Security" spam/virus I've seen have attachments which wouldn't get
through RootsWeb's mail list configuration, even if the Poster's address
happened to be subscribed to a list.

To err on the side of extreme caution, immediately delete any mail which
meets one or more of the criteria below: