DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2002-03 > 1016881000

From: "myka" <>
Subject: tough cakes
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 11:03:30 -0000

hi may be it was rock cakes they are pretty tough and very sweet and nice,
I know they are an old Devon favourite because my g grandma my granny and
mum have all made them
Tea on a special occasion at Nan Clarke's 1898-1992,we had ham and other
cold meats, boiled eggs, boiled potatoes, beet root, white soft rolls and
salad if in season, and later the left over soft rolls would be put out as
cut rounds with jam and cream (clotted) and there would be rock cakes and
Irish Brach (sorry if ive spelt this wrong) which you butter, no alcohol
plenty of tea loads of fun Nan Clarke died when I was 17 so I have good
memories of her and Pop 1897-1989 they never had a fridge kept milk in a
bucket my the door and ever thing else in the pantry they didn't shun modern
things just didn't have a need for them and never wasted a thing food or
other wise, maybe we could all learn a lesson from them, any way enough
rambling back to rock cakes
200g SR Flour Salt
100g Margarine
75g Mixed Fruit
50g Caster Sugar
1 Size 3 Egg
1tbs Milk
12 Paper cake cases

Oven Temperature: 20C. Gas 6
Cooking Time:10-15 minutes
Mix the flour and salt, rub in margarine.
Stir in dried fruit and sugar.
Add beaten egg and enough milk to make a stiff dough.
Divide mixture between the 12 paper cases dust with sugar when warm
don't ask me if it works I cant cook unless its curry cheers Myka

This thread: